When I meet people for the first time, I always look forward to the inevitable question: "So what do you do?"
Before this question is even asked, I think about all the possible answers I could give.
"I'm a computer programmer."
"I'm a programmer."
"I'm a software engineer."
"I'm a web developer."
"I'm a software developer."
I usually choose #3: I'm a software engineer. Why? Well, this just sounds fanciest to me. And I always enjoy sounding fancy since I'm actually the opposite most of the time.
This is usually met with one of three responses:
1) "Oh cool." *Awkward pause as they figure out what else to say.* At this point, we'll usually move onto another topic.
2) "Oh wow you must be really smart then!"
3) "Wow really? I wouldn't have guessed. How did you get into that?"
The first response usually leaves me a little let down - I love to talk about what I do for a living as well as find out more about what the other person does. It intrigues me to learn more about what other people are doing 40 hours of every week (and sometimes more) and to share what I do. Unfortunately, in this case, the other person is usually not interested in this so we'll just move on.
The second response is a little awkward as well. I'm not sure why being a software engineer leads people to think I'm really smart but there's not much you can say to that other than to deny it or make some humble comment/joke. This viewpoint is really confusing. I mean, if I met someone who said they were a gardener, I wouldn't be like "Wow, you must not be very smart then!"
Actually, I'd do the opposite and start asking them so many questions because my thumbs are extremely far from being green. But that's besides the point.
Anyway, I understand that people usually mean it as a compliment but there are limited ways to respond to this without sounding like a jerk. I usually make some kind of self-inflicting joke and then move on.
The third response is interesting because it leads into more conversation - something I always love. It's also the response I get the most often because as a female, people don't usually expect me to say something like software engineer. I've never actually asked people what kind of field they would guess that I'm in but given the amount of surprise I usually get, I'm assuming the answer would not be engineering.
To be honest, that's one of the reasons I fought to stay in engineering. Being a minority in the field always made me feel kind of special in a way although it's always been my passion to get more women into software. I love being able to explain why I find software development so interesting and why you could too (if you are still looking). Unfortunately, many women are already against the idea of software development so I'm going to try to make this field more accessible to the masses.
Well, masses of women anyway.
I'll be writing about my journey into the field as well as my day to day experiences as a female software engineer.
**Disclaimer: I hope no one finds the title of this blog offensive. I know sometimes Code Monkey can be used in a derogatory way but I think we should embrace the name and use it to highlight our achievments in the field instead. Think of it as a sarcastic name - one that shouts, "It's time to use these barriers to our advantage!"
Yours,

No comments:
Post a Comment